Scarce first Issue Fractional Currency. This is also called Postage Currency since the design utilizes the same portrait on a then-current 5 cent postage stamp featuring a likeness of Thomas Jefferson.
- Approved by the act of July 17, 1862.
- Uncut sheet of 11 notes.
- Housed in an archival quality currency sleeve.
- Face: Bears an engraving of one of the contemporary issue of Five Cent postage stamps featuring a bust of Thomas Jefferson.
- Back: Black printing of the obligation at center surrounding a large numeral “5”, with an intricate engraving.
- This is the straight edge type with the ABC monogram on back.
These were issued starting in 1862 to help alleviate the shortage of coins due to public hoarding caused by the Civil War. Add this First Issue Fractional Postage Currency of 5 Cents to your cart today!