A beautiful MS-61 certified 1873 Open 3 $20 Double Eagle for anyone interested in having an awesome start to a coin collection or an addition to an existing rare coin collection!
- Population of only *2283 at this grade.
- Mintage of 1,709,800 coins.
- Contains .9675 oz actual Gold weight.
- NGC encapsulation authenticates and protects the Mint State-61 condition of the coin.
- Obverse: Using ancient Greco-Roman inspiration, the obverse features a portrait of Lady Liberty facing the left with "Liberty" inscribed upon her pearl crown. The date is shown below.
- Reverse: Paralleling the Great Seal of the United States, the reverse features a heraldic eagle with "United States of America" across the top and the coin's face value of "Twenty Dollars" across the bottom.
- Designed by James Barton Longacre and minted from 1850-1907.
Protect your investment by adding a beautiful presentation box to your order!
* Population as reported by NGC as of June 23, 2016.
NGC, one of the top coin grading services, has guaranteed the Brilliant Uncirculated Mint State-61 condition of this coin, adding collectibility to the beloved design. Enhance your collection by adding this $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle to your cart today!
Following the discovery of vast quantities of Gold in California, the Treasury Department decided to create a new denomination called the $20 Double Eagle, for it was twice the size of the previous highest denomination, the eagle. First minted for circulation in 1850, production of $20 pieces was continued through the year 1933. Vast quantities were minted of certain dates, as they served as a convenient way to convert Gold bullion into coinage form. Double eagles facilitated international transactions of large value in an era in which foreign governments and commercial interests were wary of accepting paper money.
$20 Double Eagles of the 1850-1907 years are of the Liberty Head type and are the work of James B. Longacre, who produced many other designs of the mid-19th century. There are actually three varieties of Liberty Head double eagles: the 1850-1866 style with the denomination expressed as "TWENTY D", the 1866-1876 style with the denomination expressed the same way but with the addition of "IN GOD WE TRUST", and the 1877-1907 type with the denomination expressed as "TWENTY DOLLARS".