This coin would make a stunning addition to any history or cultural-themed collection, and an excellent opportunity to initiate discussion or raise awareness about the history and traditions of Indigenous peoples.
In a time when certain cultural practices of Canada’s Aboriginal peoples were regulated or prohibited, individuals such as Wanduta risked prosecution to safeguard their sacred traditions. This fine Silver coin honors the Dakota Elder and spiritual healer for his dedication to preserving cultural rites such as ceremonial dances, which are an integral expression of their Dakota identity.
- Contains 5 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Comes in a mint-issued maroon clamshell box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 1,200 coins.
- Obverse: The likeness of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: Features a full-face portrait of Wanduta (Red Arrow), a Sioux Valley Dakota Chief who defended the community’s ceremonial dance rites when such activities were prohibited under the Indian Act. The full application of color over the engraving captures the beautiful complexities of Wanduta’s traditional regalia, circa 1913.
Add this tribute to Chief Wanduta coin to your cart today!