The Homestead National Grasslands 5 oz .999 fine Silver coin is the first release of the popular America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin™ Program series by the U.S. Mint in 2015, and graded SP-70 by PCGS with First Strike and Mercanti attributes. The Homestead Act of 1863 was integral in getting the western parts of the United States populated, and this 5 oz .999 fine Silver coin pays tribute to this important time in America's history.
- Contains 5 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Graded a perfect SP-70 by PCGS with a label signed by John Mercanti.
- The First Strike label guarantees that it was received within the first 30 days of release from the mint.
- Obverse: Portrait of George Washington originally designed by John Flanagan, with the inscriptions of "United States of America", "Liberty", "In God We Trust" and "Quarter Dollar".
- Reverse: Features the essential elements for survival among homesteaders, which included food, shelter and water. "Homestead," "Nebraska" and the date around the edge.
These coins are sought after by investors for their .999 fine Silver content, and demanded by collectors for their artistic value. Add this attractive coin to your collection today!
The Homestead National Monument in southeastern Nebraska memorializes the Homestead Act of 1862, in which President Lincoln allowed both men and women to claim their stake on land in the west. Individuals who filed for the land were given 160 acres and needed to make improvements on the land and file for a deed when finished. The Homestead Act changed with the times as technological advances made it easier to cultivate land and the government began handing out larger portions. In 1976, the Homestead Act was officially repealed.
The park itself features a monument on the exact location of the first successfully claimed land from 1862. The park also includes 100 acres of tallgrass prairie, which was fully restored to what it looked like before the homesteaders staked their claims. The park also contains over two miles of hiking trails through the prairie and woodlands. Lastly, the Palmer-Epard Cabin, built in 1867, resides 14 miles northeast of the monument and has been restored several times through the years to maintain its squared logs, earth floored downstairs and small attic.