The Fort Moultrie at Fort Sumter National Monument in South Carolina is the fifth release in 2016 of the U.S. Mint's popular 5 oz bullion America the Beautiful series. This 5 oz coin is the collector version with an uncirculated finish and a box and COA.
- Contains 5 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes with protected box, capsule and a certificate of authenticity.
- This collector version America The Beautiful coin features a beautiful Burnished Finish and the "P" mintmark.
- Obverse: Portrait of George Washington originally designed by John Flanagan, with the inscriptions of "United States of America", "Liberty", "In God We Trust" and "Quarter Dollar".
- Reverse: The design depicts Sergeant William Jasper returning the regimental flag to the ramparts while under attack from a British ship. Inscriptions are “FORT MOULTRIE,” “SOUTH CAROLINA,” “2016” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
- Guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
Click here for Capsules, Mint Boxes, Mint Tubes and Wood Display Cases to fit every Silver America The Beautiful coin in your collection!
These coins are sought after by investors for their .999 fine Silver content, and demanded by collectors for their artistic value. Add this attractive coin to your cart today!
Fort Moultrie was established as a national site in 1948 that, along with Johnson and Castle Pinckney, are part of a chain of defensive islands in the Charleston Harbor. The location of Fort Moultrie was an early flashpoint in the Revolutionary War. American soldiers led by Colonel William Moultrie were based on Sullivan’s Island, building a fort, when they were attacked by British war ships. The early American revolutionaries made a retreat but were able to prevent the British from capturing Charleston, thus the island was named in honor of Moultrie. When South Carolina secede from the Union in 1860, the forts again became a focal point, this time in the Civil War. As technology changed, the fortified naval armaments in Charleston Harbor became obsolete and were converted to National Monuments. Today, Fort Moultrie has been restored to portray the major periods of history during its use, from a World War II Control post all the way back to a small log fort built in 1776.