Celebrate the Silver Britannia's 20th anniversary with this stunning MS-69 Early Release coin! A radiating pattern has been added behind Britannia. Not only does this feature add sophistication but it also adds anti-counterfeiting security.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- NGC encapsulation authenticates and protects the MS-69 condition of the coin.
- The Early Release designation ensures that this coin was received by NGC within the first 30 days of release.
- Celebrates 20 years of the Silver Britannia's tradition and legacy.
- Features a radial sunburst design that adds anti-counterfeiting protection to your investment.
- Obverse: Effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: Features the internationally recognized figure of Britannia standing firm against a powerful gale. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
This 2017 Silver Britannia coin would be a great addition to any bullion collection. Add this 2017 Great Britain 1 oz Silver Britannia graded MS-69 Early Release by NGC to your cart today!
Steadfast and confident, Britannia is a symbol of resilience and strength. In 2017, The Royal Mint commemorates the 30th year since Britannia’s bullion design was launched to market. Sculptor Philip Nathan, the designer of the first Britannia bullion in 1987, envisaged her as a classic and evolving icon. In these additions to the bullion collection, she stands firm as a powerful gale whips around her shield, Corinthian helmet and olive branch. This design features a radial sunburst at her back.
In 2017 the Silver Britannia coin celebrates its 20th anniversary. To celebrate this significant milestone, the 2017 Britannia design has been refreshed with a high security radial sunburst background, modernizing this iconic coin. Debuting in 1997, the first Silver Britannia featured the same design as its Gold counterpart. Issuing years from 1997 to 2012 were minted in .958 pure Silver, while those minted in 2013 and thereafter feature .999 fine Silver.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.