Carved out over time by ice and wind, the majestic beauty of Canada’s Arctic landscape is like no other. This fine Silver coin is a celebration of this icon of the True North and of a proud nation whose spirit and history have been shaped by snow and ice.
When it comes to epic migrations, no other bird species rivals the long-distance trek of the Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea). This summer resident of Northern Canada travels roughly 40,000 kilometers each year; it winters on the Antarctic sea ice but returns time and time again to its breeding grounds in “the True North strong and free,” which sparkles on the reverse of this fine Silver coin!
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Encapsulated and presented in a mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- Very limited mintage of 7,500 coins.
- Obverse: Likeness of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: Designed by Canadian artist Derek C. Wicks combines finely detailed engraving, selective color and diamond glitter to capture the majestic beauty of Canada’s northern coastline. In the foreground, an Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea) is depicted in flight, its forked tail elongating its slender profile while its long wings are outstretched in an upward stroke. The tern prefers to nest in a colony; thus, it is depicted alongside two other terns depicted in different flight positions above the painted gray waters. While these engraved birds are exquisitely rendered, the Arctic scenery is equally captivating: in the background, the engraved iceberg sparkles in the light thanks to the sealed layer of fine diamond particles, which mimic the glacial ice’s glistening appearance.
This series of coins is highly sought-after, those issued in 2016 sold out quickly. Add this unique 1 oz Silver Arctic Tern coin to your cart today!