Sold out at the mint! Celebrate the Gold Britannia's 30th anniversary with this stunning coin from The Royal Mint. A radiating pattern has been added behind Britannia to add security and deter counterfeiting.
APMEX individually seals each MintDirect® coin to ensure the authenticity and condition after the coins are removed directly from the mint boxes. Each coin is placed in a protective, non-reactive plastic polymer authentication card to protect your coin’s finish. This process seals the coin within the card, creating a tamper-evident package that guarantees your investment indefinitely. Learn more about the tamper-evident process here.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- 2017 30th Anniversary Britannias will be in APMEX MintDirect® Single packaging.
- Each coin is placed in a protective, non-reactive plastic polymer authentication card (2 1/2" x 3 1/4") to protect your coin’s finish.
- Limited mintage of 7,030 coins.
- The first mintmarked bullion coin from The Royal Mint celebrating 30 years of the Gold Britannia's tradition and legacy.
- The Britannia Anniversary is also the only 2017 coin with an updated obverse design.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 100 pounds on a new textured background.
- Reverse: Features the internationally recognized figure of Britannia standing firm against a powerful gale. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times. Features a radial sunburst design that adds anti-counterfeiting protection to your investment. Unique trident mintmark displays "30" between the prongs of the trident.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
Secure your 30th Anniversary Gold Britannia by adding an attractive display box to your order.
This 2017 Gold Britannia coin would be a great addition to any bullion collection. Add this MintDirect® 2017 1 oz Gold Britannia to your cart today!
APMEX has created a process to guarantee these coins are direct from The British Royal Mint to you to ensure that our customers receive only authentic British Royal Mint coins. MintDirect® is your symbol of guarantee that these coins were processed from tubes that come straight from mint-sealed "Monster Boxes", exactly as they were delivered, providing peace-of-mind when buying, holding or selling.
APMEX individually seals each MintDirect® coin to ensure that the authenticity and condition of each coin is protected after they are removed directly from the mint tubes. Each coin is placed in a protective authentication card composed of a non-reactive plastic polymer to protect your coin’s finish.
The sealing process seals the coin within the authentication card, creating a tamper-evident package that will guarantee your investment indefinitely. If the tamper-evident package has been opened in any way, you will know it. After the process is completed, the coin in the tamper-evident package is removed from the machine and checked to ensure that the quality of the packaging meets our exacting standards. You now have a finished 2017 1 oz Gold Britannia MintDirect® Single.
By using this process, APMEX can guarantee that the coins you receive are authentic and in the exact condition as they were when they left The British Royal Mint. The MintDirect® process gives investors confidence in their purchase, knowing that they can buy, hold or sell an authentic coin — guaranteed.
Britannia, the female personification of the British Isles, takes her name from an ancient term for Great Britain and has been a popular figure since the 1st century, when she was first depicted on Roman coinage under the rule of Emperor Hadrian. Illustrated as a goddess, Britannia resembles the Roman figure Boudica. Britannia first appeared on British coins in 1672, when she graced the farthing. She was a firm fixture on coins from this point onwards, appearing on pennies issued under every monarch from 1797 until decimalization, when she was chosen to appear on the 50 pence coin until 2008.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.