Another awe-inspiring release from Monnaie de Paris! This beautiful coin features two impressive sites in Paris with rhodium and Gold accents.
- Contains 5 oz of .950 fine Silver.
- Comes in a box with a certificate of authenticity from the Monnaie de Paris.
- Mintage of just 500 coins.
- Obverse: The lower left portion of the coin depicts the floor of the Assemblée Nationale with the façade of the Bourbon Palace and its twelve ancient columns seen to the right. A rhodium deposit features the words "Republique Française". The upper portion of the coin features the Place de la Concorde with the Luxor Obelisk and the Fontaine des Fleuves in the foreground. Madeleine Church can be found in the background. The fountain and the top of the obelisk are highlighted with Gold detail.
- Reverse: Includes the UNESCO logo and face value on the left and an aerial view of the location of the two monuments on the right.
- Certified by the Monnaie de Paris.
This Silver coin would be a great addition to any collection or an ideal gift for a loved one. Add this 2017 5 oz Silver UNESCO Concorde & Assemblée Nationale coin to your cart today!
The Assemblée Nationale
One of two chambers making up the French Parliament, the French National Assembly was created in 1789 under Louis XVI's reign. The French elect the deputies to represent them when major decisions are taken. Since its creation, its name has changed several times before coming back in 1946 to "National Assembly". It has however, always kept the same mission: vote the law in order to define the rights and duties of each citizen and the rules for life in society.
The seat of the National Assembly is located in the Palais Bourbon in the 8th district in Paris. The 577 members representing the French people are elected for 5 years. They legislate and control the government's activities.
The Place of Concorde
The Place of Concorde is found at the foot of the Champs Elysees in the 8th district of Paris. The construction project of the place started in 1748 with the intent to erect a statue of King Louis XV riding a horse. A contest was organized and in 1755, the project of the King's First Architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel is selected. The place is designed as an octagon surrounded by the Champs Elysees and the Tuileries garden.
The equestrian statue of King Louis XV is inaugurated in June 1763, and in 1772, the place is completed. During the revolution the place took a particular importance, a guillotine is installed and numerous executions took place there. This is where Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette were beheaded.
In 1792, the statue of Louis XV is removed and the place becomes the Place of Revolution. In 1795 it takes the name of Place of Concorde. Its name will change again before coming back to Place of Concorde in 1830.
At the beginning of 1830 Mehemet Ali, viceroy of Egypt, offered to Charles X and to France two obelisk that were set up by the Luxor Temple. Only the first one will be conveyed. Louis-Philippe the 1st decided to erect it on the Place of Concorde in October 1836.
Between 1836 and 1846, the place is transformed by the architect Jacques-Ignace Hittorff who added two fountains: the Fountain of the Seas and the Fountain of the Rivers.