This huge (2 inch diameter) and stunning Gold proof features the seated goddess Britannia, vigilant and ready to defend her United Kingdom!
- Contains 1.12 oz of Gold.
- Limited mintage of just 1,250 coins.
- Comes packaged in a mint issued box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II, along with the year and face value.
- Reverse: A beautiful and faithful depiction of Britannia as she appears on the 1900 25 cents Shinplaster fractional banknote.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Canadian government.
Add this beautiful 2006 Canada Proof Gold Shinplaster coin to your cart today!
In 1870, while waiting for new 25-cent silver coins to arrive from the Royal Mint in London, the Dominion of Canada issued a temporary fractional note. It wasn't long before people began calling it a "shinplaster" after the notes that American soldiers allegedly used to line their boots during the American Revolution. Each of the three different 25¢ shinplasters features a different portrait of Britannia on it.