Fourth coin in an exciting five-coin series that showcases a beautifully engraved bird in its colorful Canadian habitat.
Known for their smooth gliding and morning song, purple martins are happy to return time and time again to the nest boxes and birdhouses we put up for them! This avian “urbanite” is more common in the east than the west; but wherever it nests, the black-blue songbird is a delightful sight, particularly on the coin’s reverse, where selective color recreates the beauty of the martin’s surroundings.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Coins come in a maroon clamshell box with a graphic outer sleeve.
- Limited mintage of 15,000 coins.
- Obverse: Displays the likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: Features a single purple martin as it grips a stalk of foxglove.
- Guaranteed by the Royal Canadian Mint.
Add this 1/2 oz Silver Purple Martin coin to your cart today!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Derek C. Wicks features a richly detailed, engraved portrait of a purple martin. Canada’s largest swallow is viewed from below, its claws firmly gripping a stalk of foxglove. Its forked tail and long, slender profile give the martin an elegant air as it turns its head towards the left side of the coin, as though studying its surroundings for signs of insect prey. Selective color conveys the soft glow of a warm summer morning, when the sun’s early rays shine down upon the pastel-colored tubular flowers that cast a gentle shadow behind them.