The Australia Sovereign 2017 Gold Proof Coin is a customized version of the original Sydney Mint Sovereign, representing a modern adaptation of this important part of Australia’s history.
- Contains .1176 oz actual Gold weight.
- Housed in a prestigious wooden presentation case with superbly illustrated shipper and wrap, accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 1,000 coins.
- Obverse: Features the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the monetary denomination and the 2017 year-date.
- Reverse: Depicts St Edward’s crown, a laurel wreath and the word "AUSTRALIA", historic elements of Leonard Charles Wyon’s original Type I reverse.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
The discovery of payable gold in the colony of New South Wales in 1851 lay behind the establishment of the Sydney branch of the Royal Mint, which opened on 14 May 1855. The Sydney Mint produced its first Type I sovereign, featuring a unique "colonial" design, on 23 June. There ensued an unbroken 76-year history of Gold sovereign production in Australia, with more than 400 million coins created in Sydney and at branches later opened in Melbourne and Perth.
This limited edition coin would be a fantastic addition to any Gold collection. Add this 2017 Australia Gold Proof Half Sovereign to your cart today!
The coin is struck by The Perth Mint from 91.67% pure Gold (22 carat) in supreme proof quality. The Perth Mint will release no more than 1,000 of the 2017 Australia Half Sovereign Gold Proof Coin.