In 1941 the SS Gairsoppa was carrying much needed supplies to Britain in the grip of the Second World War, including Silver destined for The Royal Mint, when she was torpedoed.
- Contains 1/4 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Encapsulation by PCGS protects and guarantees the condition of the coin.
- PCGS has certified 100 coins in this grade, with only 4 coins higher.
- Obverse: Effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 50 pence.
- Reverse: Features the internationally recognized figure of Britannia standing firm against a powerful gale. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
This 2013 Silver Britannia SS Gairsoppa coin would be a great addition to any bullion collection. Add this 2013 Silver Britannia SS Gairsoppa coin to your cart today!
For 70 years she has lain below almost three miles of icy water, until she was discovered in 2011. Her precious cargo has now been recovered and we have finally struck coins bearing the "queen of the seas", Britannia, in the ship’s honor. Each coin has been struck to bullion standard, fitting for a treasure reborn from the deep. The beautiful portrait of Britannia standing as Britain’s guardian by Philip Nathan features on the coins, each with the ship’s name as an edge inscription in a lasting tribute to Gairsoppa and her crew. Only a small quantity of Gairsoppa’s Silver will ever be minted.