This set provides an easy way to add more quality Gold to your collection with one purchase. Each Proof Gold coin features the iconic image of Britannia, a symbol of Britain's strength that has been used for centuries.
- Contains a total of 1.85 oz actual Gold weight.
- Includes the following sizes: 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz.
- Comes in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: Seated image of Britannia with her shield and trident, surrounded by the Gold weight.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
This exceptional set would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful 2005 4-Coin Proof Gold Britannia set to your cart today!
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.