This inaugural year Proof Buffalo has been certified as a near-perfect PR-69 by PCGS, one of the top coin grading services, adding further collectible appeal. These Proof Gold Buffalo coins are minted at the West Point Mint and bear the "W" mintmark.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- First year of issue for the Proof Buffalo.
- PCGS encapsulation guarantees the coin's Proof-69 Deep Cameo condition.
- Obverse: Depicts James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of a Native American in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: Features an American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your graded Gold Buffalo in style by adding an attractive presentation box to your order.
Buy America's premier Gold coin in a beautiful proof finish from the West Point Mint. Add this 2006-W 1 oz Proof Gold Buffalo certified PR-69 by PCGS to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.