The Gold Eagle coin is one of the world's favorite Gold bullion products. Burnished Gold American Eagles were struck on special blanks and were treated to give them a look that is very distinct from regular business strike Gold Eagles.
- Contains 1 oz of Gold.
- Coin comes in a capsule in the original U.S. Mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Eligible for Precious Metals IRAs.
- Obverse: Adapted from Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ famed Gold Double Eagle design, which features Lady Liberty walking confidently against the sun’s rays.
- Reverse: Shows a male bald eagle in flight carrying an olive branch to his nest, where a female awaits with her young.
- Minted at West Point, N.Y.
The Gold American Eagle quickly became the most popular Gold bullion coin in the United States since its release in 1986. Add this 2008-W 1 oz Burnished Gold American Eagle to your cart today!
Coins minted from 1986 through 1991 are dated with Roman numerals whereas every 1 oz Gold American Eagle minted after 1992 is branded with Arabic numerals. These Gold bullion coins are available in multiple sizes including 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz and 1 troy oz. Each piece is identical in design save the markings on the reverse side of the coin that indicate its weight and face value.
In 1933, because of the Great Depression, the United States government made it illegal for citizens to hold monetary Gold. Citizens were required to sell their Gold certificates, coins, and bullion to the U.S. Treasury save a few exceptions including jewelry and numismatic coins. In 1975, private ownership of Gold was again made legal and in 1986, American mints began to make bullion coins. Pursuant to the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, these coins are made exclusively from American Gold.
The coin is minted at the West Point Mint in New York. The mint deals in large amounts of Precious Metals and is responsible for striking all proof and uncirculated American Eagles in Gold, Silver, and Platinum as well as all Gold commemorative coins.