This limited edition set is attractively displayed in the original mint box. A beautiful addition to any Britannia collection!
- Contains 1.85 oz of Gold.
- Includes 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz Britannias.
- Limited edition presentation of only 3,505 sets.
- Comes in an original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II and monetary denomination.
- Reverse: Depicts the legendary figure of Britannia holding a trident and shield. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times.
- Sovereign coins backed by the British government.
Add this strictly limited mintage set to your cart today!
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.