This rare 28-piece Double Mint Set contains two examples of each U.S. coin from 1948, housed in the original mint packaging. All coins show characteristic mint-set toning.
- Only 6,000 of these sets were originally produced, but a significantly lower number have survived intact to the present.
- Contains 6 each (two from each mint - P, D, and S) of the Lincoln wheat cent, the Jefferson nickel, the Roosevelt dime, and the Washington quarter. Contains 4 Franklin half dollars, as there was no San Francisco half dollar issue in 1948.
- Coins are originally toned. The toning is light, pleasing and colorful and is unquestionably characteristic of mint-set coins of this vintage.
- Cardboard holders are intact and tight-fitting, and toning is uniform across the coins in each holder, which strongly suggests full originality.
- Outer envelope shows some wear. The cardboard holders for each mint are in good shape, though may have some writing on them.
Don't miss this opportunity to pick up this rarely-offered piece of U.S. numismatic history. Purchase this 1948 U.S. Double Mint Set today!
1948 was the second year of issue of the U.S. Double Mint Sets and the inaugural year for the Franklin half dollar. These sets, produced to fill the void left when the U.S. stopped production of proof coinage in 1942, were designed to give collectors a way to purchase an example of each coin minted for the year.
These Double Mint Sets contain 2 examples of each coin from each mint, housed in cardboard holders with a cut-out for each coin and a paper backing. The paper used in making these holders was rich in sulfur, leading to the distinct "Mint-Set" toning found on most of these sets, including the one offered here.