This beautiful set includes all four sizes (1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz) of the Gold Buffalo coins and is the only year that fractional Gold Buffalos were minted! Mintage of only 6,049 sets!
- Contains a total of 1.85 oz actual Gold weight.
- Housed in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: the American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- This Brilliant Uncirculated set of Gold Buffalos features the West Point Mint's "W" mint mark.
- Guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.