This low-mintage set includes all four sizes of proof Gold Buffalos minted in 2008. This is the only year of mintage for the fractional sizes. Additionally, all four coins have been certified as a flawless PF-70 by NGC.
- Contains 1.85 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Includes 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz coins.
- NGC encapsulation guarantees and protects the coins' perfect condition.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coins backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your Proof Gold Buffalo Set in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
This set is the rarity of the proof Buffalo series. Pick up this flawless example today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.