Burnished Gold Buffalos were only produced in 2008, and are some of the lowest-mintage pieces of the entire Buffalo series. This set includes the fractional coins, also exclusive to 2008. These have all been graded a perfect MS-70 by NGC.
- Contains 1.85 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- NGC encapsulation guarantees and protects the perfect MS-70 condition of these coins.
- Early Releases designation signifies that these coins were among the first shipped from the mint, having been received by NGC within the first 30 days after release.
- Special burnished finish, available for Gold Buffalos in 2008 only, gives the coins a unique matte appearance.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of a Native American in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coins backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your Gold Buffalo Set in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
Buy America's premier Gold coin in fractional sizes! Add this iconic set to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.