This low-mintage coin is from the only year that Buffalos were minted in fractional sizes. This coin has been graded a perfect 70 by NGC with the Early Releases label, signifying that the coin was shipped from the mint within the first 30 days of release.
- Contains 1/10 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- NGC encapsulation guarantees and protects the coins' perfect condition.
- Early Release designation certifies that these coins were shipped from the mint within the first 30 days of release.
- NGC Labels may slightly vary.
- Mintage of only 18,884.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: the American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your Proof Gold Buffalo in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
Add this 2008-W 1/10 oz Proof Gold Buffalo graded PF-70 by NGC to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.