Issued by Gibraltar in 2001, this is the world's first tri-metal coin! This coin features Queen Elizabeth II and is packaged in a mint box.
- This coin contains .167 of an ounce of platinum, .457 of an ounce of gold, and .376 of an ounce of silver.
- Comes in an original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of only 999 coins.
- Obverse: The likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and year of issue with gold accents.
- Reverse: Celebrates the new millennium with a collage of historic images in a bi-metal finish. Also includes the inscription “21st Century” and the denomination.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Gibraltar government.
Add this unique coin to your cart today!
The idea that countries, big or small, can and should have their own coinage is what pushed the Pobjoy Mint forward. Pobjoy approached the Isle of Man government to begin a program of collector coins with corresponding values and specifications as British coins. In 1972, the Pobjoy Mint created the first practical set of coins for the Isle of Man including a 1/2 penny and up to 50 pence coins. These coins included historical and cultural elements, such as the Isle of Man’s distinctive three-legged “Triskele” insignia.
Since then, the Pobjoy Mint has issued an array of innovative and artistic coins sought after by some of the choosiest collectors. One particular contribution to numismatics and coin production was the development of the world’s first satisfactory man-made Precious Metal, called Virenium, which has been used in high denomination coinage since 1978. This was hailed worldwide as the first significant breakthrough in coinage from the last century.
The Pobjoy Mint provides circulation and collector coinage for 12 countries and territories, and that number is ever increasing. Pobjoy Mint has been consistently recognized within the numismatic industry for their innovations, including 45 “firsts” such as the first Silver one kilo coin, the first coin in the shape of the Eiffel Tower, the first titanium coin and the world’s highest relief coin. The Pobjoy Mint has demonstrated their ability to push the limits of the coin industry to surprising achievements and new heights.