The Gold Buffalo was offered in fractional sizes for one year only. This set contains all four of the 2008 Proof Buffalos, among the lowest mintages of the series, each graded PR-70 by PCGS with the scarce First Strike designation.
- Contains a total of 1.85 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- 1 oz coin - mintage of 18,863, population of 381*
- 1/2 oz coin - mintage of 12,169, population of 245*
- 1/4 oz coin - mintage of 13,125, population of 276*
- 1/10 oz coin - mintage of 18,884, population of 264*
- PCGS encapsulation protects and guarantees the perfect 70 condition of each coin.
- First Strike designation is given to coins shipped within the first 30 days of release, making these coins very scarce and unlikely to increase appreciably in population in the future.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Features the West Point Mint's "W" mintmark and a beautiful mirrorlike proof finish.
Protect and display your Proof Gold Buffalo Set in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
2008 was the only year the U.S. Mint produced Buffalos in fractional sizes. The 1/2 and 1/4 oz coins are far and away the lowest-mintage pieces of the proof Buffalo series. This low-mintage, low-population set is a great modern rarity. Add this PCGS certified 4-Coin Gold Buffalo Set to your cart today!
* Population figures provided by PCGS as of July 2016.