With a mintage of only 16,908, this 1/2 oz Buffalo is one of the scarcest coins of the series. Produced only in 2008, fractional Gold Buffalos were only available as proofs or with a special burnished finish. This coin is one of the latter.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Coin comes in original mint packaging and is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.
- Special burnished finish, available for Gold Buffalos in 2008 only, gives the coin a unique matte appearance.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of a Native American in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Buy America's premier Gold coin in fractional sizes! Begin your own collection of this iconic coin by adding it to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.