This variety, due to its boldness and clarity, has always been a popular variety. It was discovered only a year after it was minted and it was documented in The Numismatist.
- Contains .9675 oz of Gold.
- Individual coins will come in plastic flips.
- Obverse: Shows Lady Liberty striding in front of the sun's rays at the dawn of a new day.
- Reverse: Features a majestic bald eagle in flight with "United States of America" and "Twenty Dollars" above.
- Edge: The motto "E Pluribus Unum" with the words divided by stars.
- Minted in 1909 at the following mint: Philadelphia.
Protect your $20 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle with this clear plastic capsule or display it in style by adding an attractive presentation box or coin bezel to your order.
Almost Uncirculated coins have just the slightest hint of wear and retain most of their original luster, adding collectibility to the beloved design. Add this $20 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle to your cart today!
The only overdate produced in the entire Saint-Gaudens series! It is understood that sometime in 1908 while making dies one of the die sinkers somehow received a 1908 hub and used it to make his impressions for the 09 coinage. Normally the engraver would notice such errors, but Charles Barber was too busy giving his attention to the newly released quarter and half eagles designed by Bela Lyon Pratt less than a year earlier. If this error was noticed during production no one bothered to condemn or correct it. A very interesting piece and noteworthy coin.