Proof Platinum American Eagles change designs yearly adding to their bullion appeal and the collectibility of this series.
- Contains 1 oz of .9995 fine Platinum.
- Mintage of 10,000 coins, complete with the mint issued box and certificate of authenticity.
- Eligible for Precious Metals IRAs.
- Obverse: John Mercanti design showing a portrait of the Statue of Liberty gazing confidently forward, the symbol of freedom and opportunity.
- Reverse: Blindfolded "Lady Justice" holding scales in one hand and a laurel branch in the other. The image is representative of the theme "To Establish Justice".
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
The only investment-grade Platinum coin produced by the United States Mint, the American Platinum Eagle was finally released in 1997. It is the official Platinum bullion coin of the United States and is the only coin the mint backs for weight, content and .9995 fine metal purity. The coin is available in sizes of 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz, and 1 troy oz.
The obverse of the standard bullion coin features the Statue of Liberty, while the reverse boasts a bald eagle soaring through the sky with the sun behind it. However, on the 1 oz Proof Platinum Eagles, the reverse changes annually. From 1997 through 2002, the various designs on these coins were part of the “Vistas of Liberty” program. In this series, a bald eagle was depicted flying over a different region throughout the United States. From 2006 to 2008, a three-year design series called “The Foundations of Democracy” represented the three branches of government. In 2009, a six-year series was introduced to honor the Preamble to the Constitution. A special two-year series began in 2015 featuring modern representations of Lady Liberty.