The only overdate produced in the entire Saint Gaudens series! This variety, due to its boldness and clarity has always been popular with the collector crowd.
- Contains .9675 oz of Gold.
- Packaged in a protective plastic coin flip.
- Obverse: Shows Lady Liberty striding in front of the sun's rays with a fiery torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left.
- Reverse: Features a majestic bald eagle in flight with "United States of America" and "Twenty Dollars" above.
- Designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens and minted from 1907-1933.
Handle your investment with care by adding these cotton gloves to your order.
These coins have been cleaned or may have been previously used in jewelry. Enhance your collection by adding this $20 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle to your cart today!
It was discovered only a year after it was minted and it was documented in The Numismatist. It is understood that sometime in 1908 while making dies one of the die sinkers somehow received a 1908 hub and used it to make his impressions for the 09 coinage. Normally the engraver would notice such errors, but Charles Barber was too busy giving his attention to the newly released quarter and half eagles designed by Bela Lyon Pratt less than a year earlier. If this error was noticed during production no one bothered to condemn or correct it. A very interesting piece and noteworthy coin. This coin has AU details with light cleaning.