First Ladies have made many contributions to their husband's presidency. As James Buchanan never married, this First Spouse coin displays a reproduction of Lady Liberty from the Liberty Head Quarter Eagle.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Comes in an original box from the U.S. Mint along with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Image of Lady Liberty from the Liberty Head Quarter Eagle designed by Christian Gobrecht, minted and issued from 1840 through 1907.
- Reverse: Depicts the future President as a boy working as a bookkeeper in his family's small country store.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
- Weight and purity guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
This series of coins honors Presidential First Ladies who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz James Buchanan Gold coin to your cart today!
James Buchanan's First Spouse coin is unusual, as he is the only president never to marry. James Buchanan's presidency was rife with turmoil. He is known as the president who did nothing to stop the Civil War. Feeling the issue of slavery could be resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court, James allowed Americans to divide themselves. Buchanan denied states the right to secede, but admitted the federal government could not legally stop them. Buchanan then took a "policy of inactivity" and left the largest mess ever seen by the U.S. to his successor, Abraham Lincoln.