The Silver Britannia has always offered beauty and reliability, and this older design is no exception. Two well-known images in Britain’s history, Britannia and Queen Elizabeth II, grace the opposing sides of this .999 fine Silver coin.
- Contains 1 oz of .958 fine Silver.
- Multiples of 25 are packaged in mint tubes. Multiples of 500 are packaged in “Monster Boxes.” All other coins will be in protective plastic.
- Mintage of 100,000 coins.
- Obverse: Depicts her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: A helmeted Britannia is shown seated, similar to the image originally used on coins of the Roman Emperor Claudius and other coins since 1672.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
Protect and display your Silver Britannia in style by adding an attractive presentation box to your order.
The 2005 Silver Britannia coins attract attention from coin collectors all over the world for their beautiful design and silver value. Add this beloved coin to your cart today.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.