First Ladies have made many contributions to their husband's presidency. This First Spouse coin pays tribute to the accomplishments of the beloved Mary Todd Lincoln.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Comes in an original box from the U.S. Mint along with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the bust of former First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln.
- Reverse: Shows a caring Mary giving flowers and books to wounded Union soldiers during the Civil War. It was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
- Weight and purity guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
This series of coins honors Presidential First Ladies who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz Gold coin to your cart today!
Raised in an affluent Southern family, Mary Todd had a voice of her own. She was highly educated and perfectly able to hold her own in any discussion. Up to this point, most First Ladies had hidden in the background, but not Mary Todd Lincoln. Obviously, her husband's assassination troubled her deeply. She spent the years after Abraham's death in the role of martyr-widow. She moved to Europe in 1868, but returned to Chicago in 1871. She was committed to an insane asylum in 1875, but in true Mary Todd fashion, talked her way out. She died in 1882 in Springfield, Illinois.