The 2011 Silver Britannia features a new reverse design that continues to focus on Liberty and the Union Jack, as previous Britannias have. Inspired by the work of David Mach, the design on the 2011 Silver Britannia coins is very patriotic.
- Contains 1 oz of .958 fine Silver.
- Comes in a protective plastic flip.
- Mintage of 100,000 coins.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: Appearing at the heart of the billowing Union Flag, Britannia is seated with a trident and shield in the style of the classic image on pre-decimal pennies since Charles II.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
Protect and display your 2011 Silver Britannia in style by adding an attractive display box to your order.
This 2016 Silver Britannia coin would be a great addition to any bullion collection or an ideal gift for a loved one. Add this 2011 Great Britain 1 oz Silver Britannia to your cart today!
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.