The 2011 Silver Britannia features a new reverse design that continues to focus on Liberty and the Union Jack, as previous Britannias have. Inspired by the work of David Mach, the design on the 2011 Gold Britannia coins is very patriotic.
- Contains 1 oz of .9167 fine Gold.
- Coins will be in protective plastic flips.
- Obverse: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 100 pounds.
- Reverse: Appearing at the heart of the billowing Union Flag, Britannia is seated with a trident and shield in the style of the classic image on pre-decimal pennies since Charles II.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
Protect your Gold Britannia with this clear plastic capsule or display it in style by adding an attractive presentation box to your order. You can even add a beautiful coin bezel to turn your Gold Britannia into fine jewelry.
This Gold coin would be a great addition to any bullion collection. Add this 2011 1 oz Gold Britannia to your cart today!
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.