From the only year fractional Buffalos were offered, this 1/4 oz proof is one of the lowest-mintage pieces of the whole series, with only 13,125 produced. Only 907 of these have been graded a perfect 70 by PCGS.
- Contains 1/4 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- PCGS encapsulation guarantees and protects your coin's flawless condition.
- Mintage of only 13,125 coins.
- Population of 929 coins at this grade level with 0 graded higher.
- Obverse: Depicts James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of a Native American in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: Features an American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your graded Gold Buffalo in style by adding an attractive presentation box to your order.
Proof Gold Buffalos add a new beauty to this popular coin design. Add this 2008-W 1/4 oz Proof Gold Buffalo to your cart today!
* Population as reported by PCGS, August 2016.
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.