These are the first 1/2 oz Gold coins in the U.S. Mint's history that the metal content is .9999 fine. This coin is a Proof Gold Margaret Taylor coin graded Proof 70 by NGC.
- Contains 1/2 oz actual Gold weight.
- NGC encapsulation protects and guarantees the perfect MS-70 condition of the coin.
- Obverse: Features the bust of former First Lady Margaret Taylor designed by Phebe Hemphill and sculpted by Charles Vickers.
- Reverse: Designed by Mary Beth Zeitz and sculpted by Jim Licaretz, showcases a younger Margaret attending to an injured soldier during the Seminole Indian War.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
Protect and display your Margaret Taylor First Spouse coin in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
These coins honor Presidential First Ladies who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz Gold First Spouse Coin to your cart today!
Margaret "Peggy" Taylor was born on a tobacco plantation to a wealthy Maryland family. As a child, she was friends with Martha Washington's granddaughter. Peggy met her husband, Zachary, in Lexington, Kentucky. She would follow her husband around the continent as he moved his way up the ranks of the U.S. Army. Zachary received the Whig Party nomination and ran for President in 1848. Peggy was not happy that her husband may be the next President of the United States. As it turned out, she was right. Zachary died after two years as President. Peggy was too devastated to attend the funeral.
The obverse of the coin features an image of Margaret Taylor designed by Phebe Hemphill and sculpted by Charles Vickers. The reverse showcases a younger Margaret attending to an injured soldier during the Seminole War. The reverse was designed by Mary Beth Zeitz and sculpted by Jim Licaretz.