First Ladies have made many contributions to their husband's presidency. This First Spouse release pays tribute to the accomplishments of Mary Todd Lincoln. This coin is graded PF-70 by NGC.
- Contains 1/2 oz actual Gold weight.
- NGC encapsulation guarantees and protects the PF-70 Ultra Cameo condition of the coin.
- Obverse: Features the bust of former First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln.
- Reverse: Shows a caring Mary giving flowers and books to wounded Union soldiers during the Civil War. It was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
Protect and display your 1/2 oz Gold First Spouse coin in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
These coins honor Presidential “First Ladies” who have added so much to our country. Add these 1/2 oz Gold First Spouse coins to your cart today!
Raised in an affluent Southern family, Mary Todd had a voice of her own. She was highly educated and perfectly able to hold her own in any discussion. Up to this point, most First Ladies had hidden in the background, but not Mary Todd Lincoln.
Obviously, her husband's assassination troubled her deeply. She spent the years after Abraham's death in the role of martyr-widow. She moved to Europe in 1868, but returned to Chicago in 1871. She was committed to an insane asylum in 1875, but in true Mary Todd fashion, talked her way out. She died in 1882 in Springfield, Illinois.
On the obverse or heads side of the First Spouse Gold Coin is a regal portrait of Mary Todd Lincoln. It was designed and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill. The reverse or tails side of the Gold piece shows a caring Mary giving flowers and books to wounded Union soldiers during the Civil War. It was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.