This 2008-W 1/4 oz Gold Buffalo has a mintage of only 9,949 coins and is a one-year type, as fractional Buffalos were only produced in 2008! Of these coins, fewer than 500 have been graded a perfect 70 by PCGS with the First Strike designation.
- Contains 1/4 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- PCGS encapsulation guarantees and protects the flawless condition of this coin.
- The First Strike designation is only available to coins which shipped from the mint within the first 30 days of release.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your 1/4 oz Gold Buffalo in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
The U.S. Gold Buffalo is one of the world's favorite Gold bullion products. Add this beautiful 2008-W 1/4 oz Gold Buffalo to your cart today!
Note: PCGS has certified these burnished-finish coins with both "MS" and "SP" designations. These are functionally identical, and are simply a reflection of PCGS's policy at the time the coin was graded. Coins in this listing may show either designation on the label.
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.