Sold out at the mint with a mintage of only 3,000 coins! This is the 2012 version of the popular Maori Art series from New Zealand Post.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes with a box and a certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of only 2,000 coins.
- Obverse: Likeness of Queen Elizabeth II surrounded by her name, the date and "New Zealand".
- Reverse: Features the intricate design the traditional kowhaiwhai pattern combines the ‘koiri’ design with a traditional whakairo (woodcarving) pattern called unaunahi.
This unique coin would make a great gift or perfect addition to any collection. Add this 1 oz Proof Silver Maori Art coin to your cart today!
The Maori legend is as follows: In the beginning there was no sky, no sea, no earth and no gods. There was only darkness, only Te Kore, the Nothingness. The very beginning was made from nothing. From this nothingness, the primal parents of the Maori came, Papatuanuku, the Earth mother, and Ranginui, the Sky father.
Papatuanuku and Ranginui came together, embracing in the darkness, and had 70 male children. These offspring became the gods of the Maori. However, the children were locked in their parents embrace, in eternal darkness, and yearned to see some light. They eventually decided that their parents should be separated, and had a meeting to decide what should be done.
They vowed to separate their parents in order to see the light of day, but none could accomplish such a feat. The coin shows Tane-Mahuta, the god of man and forests at long last separating Papatuanuku and Ranginui, creating the world of light.