This coin is the first release of the Dragons of Legend five coin series.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver in flawless Proof finish.
- Mintage of only 5,000 coins.
- Comes in an original mint box with an illustrated shipper and a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: Features a red colored dragon amid dramatic mountain scenery, design by Howard David Johnson. The design also includes "DRAGONS OF LEGEND" and "RED WELSH DRAGON" and monetary denomination.
Add this Red Welsh Dragons of Legend coin to your cart today!
The red dragon emblem was most likely introduced into Britain by the Romans. Accounts suggest that when the legions departed, Welsh Britons under the red dragon fought Saxon invaders. History tells us that Welsh-born future Henry VII flew a red dragon standard during the Wars of the Roses, and that it subsequently appeared in the Tudor Royal Arms.
After centuries of powerful association, the red dragon or "Y Ddraig Goch" became the official symbol of Wales in 1901 and since 1959 it has adorned the national flag.