Third release of the Dragons of Legend five-coin series. This Proof Silver coin features a dramatic colorized portrait of St. George as he is about to slay the dragon, set against an ancient landscape.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes in a plastic capsule inside a clamshell presentation box with certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of 5,000 coins.
- Obverse: Right-facing profile of Queen Elizabeth II, along with the year and face value.
- Reverse: Portrays a colorized portrait of St. George as he is about to slay the dragon, set against an ancient landscape.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
Protect your coins from fingerprints by adding these cotton gloves to your order.
Add this beautiful 2012 1 oz Silver Dragons of Legend Proof coin to your cart today!
The famous legend of St. George tells the tale of a plague-bearing dragon. Set in the town of Selene, the townsfolk fed the dragon sheep to appease it, but when they ran out of sheep they drew lots to see whose children would be sacrificed instead. The day came when the king’s own daughter was selected.
The princess, dressed as a bride was sent to her doom, but St. George, who happened to be riding by, rescued the girl, slew the dragon, and had the town convert to Christianity. On the site where the dragon died, the king, in gratitude, is said to have built a church.