Mintage of only 2,500 coins!
This partially colored, .925 fine Proof coin is dedicated to the Lighthouse of Alexandria, part of the 7 Wonders of the World Series. The oldest list of the Wonders of the World originated in approximately 450 B.C. by Herodotus. The current commonly used list was compiled by a Greek poet named Antipater from Sidon. The Greek referred to the Wonders of the World as "The seven places to be seen on the inhabited earth."
As 7 had a special symbolic meaning in the European Ancient World, exactly 7 Wonders of the World were specified. The number 7 was believed to be “complete” and sacred. Antipater’s list includes the following: Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Statue of Zeus, the Temple of Artemis, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
The Lighthouse of Alexandria was built between 280 and 247 B.C. on the coastal island of Pharos at Alexandria, Egypt for the purpose of guiding sailors into the port. Badly damaged by three earthquakes between 956 and 1321, it then became an abandoned ruin. In 1480 the last of its remnant stones were used to build the Citadel of Qaitbay on the site.