In celebration of the Buffalo Nickel's 100th anniversary, the U.S. Mint released a special Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo with a frosted background and mirrorlike design. These coins are highly sought after for exceptional strikes and deep cameo contrast.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Coin comes in a capsule in the original U.S. Mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Showcases a rendition of James Earle Fraser's acclaimed "Buffalo Nickel" design of an American Indian in profile originally minted in 1913.
- Reverse: Depicts an American buffalo on the reverse which is a visual representation of the bison named Black Diamond who, in the early 1900s, lived in the Central Park Zoo in New York City.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
The Gold Buffalo is one of the world's favorite Gold bullion products and the Reverse Proof finish adds even deeper beauty. Add this iconic coin to your Gold collection today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.