In 1987, the Britannia series was launched and 26 years later, the Proof coins gained even more beauty. Each year will feature a new portrait of Britannia by a leading British artist, struck in higher purities than before.
- Contains 1.9 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes in an original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: A seated Britannia with her trident and an owl on her knee, the year, fineness and inscription "Britannia".
- Reverse: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and monetary denomination.
- Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
Add this beautiful 2013 5-Coin Silver Britannia Proof Set to your cart today!
Britannia is so closely linked with Britain’s coins. She first appeared as a representation of Britain in female form on the coins of Emperor Hadrian almost 2,000 years ago. Since 1672, when she was recalled to the coinage by Charles II, she has appeared on the coins of every British monarch.
In addition to the new Proof Silver designs, new denominations have been added, including a delicate 1/20 oz coin. All coins are limited editions, confirmed by a certificate of authenticity, and are attractively presented with a very clear and appropriate British feel. Each of these complete sets comes with a booklet exploring Britannia’s history as the changing face of Britain.
To begin the revival of the series, the 2013 Britannia artist, portrait sculptor Robert Hunt, created a classic Britannia that reflects the ancient Britannia designs. The only genuine Britannia coins come only from The Royal Mint, Britannia is protected by trademark.