This Proof First Spouse Gold coin pays tribute to the accomplishments of Helen Taft. Each coin contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold, making their intrinsic value just as exquisite as the design and production.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Comes in original box from the U.S. Mint along with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the bust of former First Lady Helen Taft.
- Reverse: Features a branch of Japanese cherry blossoms, symbolizing Mrs. Taft's instrumental role in bringing the cherry trees to Washington, D.C.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
- Weight and purity guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
This series of coins honors Presidential First Ladies who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz Gold Coin to your cart today!
William Howard Taft met Helen Herron during a bobsledding party and asked her to marry him three years later. Two months into Taft's presidency, Helen suffered a stroke, impairing her speech. Due to the fact that she never fully recovered from the stroke, she only entertained moderately with the help of her sisters. In her biggest contribution during her time in the White House, Helen arranged for the planting of 3,020 Japanese cherry trees at the Washington Tidal Basin.