These are the first 1/2 oz gold coins in the U.S. Mint's history that the metal content is .9999 fine. Low mintages offer great collectibility to this series.
- Contains 1/2 oz actual Gold weight.
- Brilliant Uncirculated coin housed in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity .
- Obverse: Bust of Ellen Wilson.
- Reverse: Features an image of roses with the White House in the background, a tribute to Mrs. Wilson's creation of the White House Rose Garden.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
- Comes in a wooden box with certificate of authenticity.
These coins honor Presidential “First Ladies” who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz Gold First Spouse Coin to your cart today!
Ellen Axson was the first wife of President Woodrow Wilson, whom she first met when she was a baby and Woodrow was three years old. The two met again in 1883 when Woodrow visited his cousin in Georgia and he proposed just five months later. They wed in 1885 and had three daughters, Margaret, Jessie and Eleanor.
Ellen was a descendant of slave owners and spent much of her time improving the capital's largely black slums. Using her power, her voice carried over to debutantes and congressmen who passed a remedial bill shortly after her death. Ellen died of Bright's disease in the White House in August 1914. She asked her physician to tell Woodrow to marry again the day before she passed. Woodrow would marry Edith Bolling in December 1915.