The lucky chimney sweep brings in 2014 by successfully rowing his boat over the hump into the New Year while popping his champagne cork. Engraved with the loosely translated saying “Although, I am small and round, I’ll bring you luck all year round."
- Contains .0494 oz of .585 fine Gold.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the chimney sweep, a popular good luck charm, seated in a sailboat.
- Reverse: This image can be interpreted in a number of ways and here we would like to suggest some possible meanings as to the message: “No wind favors he who has no destined port” (Michel de Montaigne), “He who has been away at sea is not afraid of puddles” (Russian proverb), or “We cannot change the wind, but we can adjust our sails”(Aristotle).
- Guaranteed by the Austrian Mint.
Add this endearing Gold Glücksjeton coin to your cart today!
These lucky tokens have been a tradition in Austria since the 1930s. Many people give them to each other with the wish for a happy, healthy and successful coming year. Austrians will carry the annual token in their purses, pockets and wallets for the whole year to maintain the best wishes at all times.
The Vienna Mint was originally situated near Hoher Merkt and later at various locations in Vienna. Since the first half of the 19th century, the mint has been housed in Heumarkt in central Vienna, where coins are still struck to this day. Minting facilities opened throughout Austria until 1918 when the Republic of Austria was formed and the Vienna Principal Mint became the singular minting facility. In 1989, the name officially changed to the Austrian Mint and became a subsidiary of the Austrian National Bank.
One of the Austrian Mint’s most recognized coins is the Maria Teresa Thaler, which is not simply a famous Silver coin, but one that boasts the greatest number minted. Another prime example of the mint’s international success is the Gold Philharmonic, one of the most popular Gold bullion coins worldwide. The Gold Philharmonic has played a vital role in developing the Austrian Mint into a highly successful company. The Austrian Mint’s beautifully crafted coins are minted in the heart of Vienna and are sought after by investors and collectors around the world.