The Series 1869 deuce is commonly referred to as a Rainbow note due to the colorful front. These notes have a portrait of Thomas Jefferson with a vignette of the U.S. Capitol.
- This is first Two Dollar Legal Tender notes to be issued by the United States after the Civil War.
- Housed in an archival quality currency sleeve.
- A decent note in Fine condition.
- Face: Large portrait of Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States with a vignette of the U.S. Capitol at center.
- Back: Ornately engraved with the denomination in three locations, and the obligation at right.
- Series of 1869 $2 United States Legal Tender Note features a large red treasury seal.
This series has become a favorite with collectors due to the colorful fronts which gives these their nickname of "Rainbow Notes". Add one of these classics to your cart today!
Allison/Spinner signatures—Friedberg #42.
This note has seen moderate wear, but is intact without the usual distraction typical of these early U.S. paper money issues.
The necessity of financing military operations during the Civil War forced the federal government to print paper money.