|Mint Mark:||Not Shown|
|Metal Content:||1 troy oz|
|Manufacturer:||Royal Australian Mint|
This stunning 1 oz Proof Silver coin with Gold plating tells the story of the separation of Ranginui and Papatuanuku. This gorgeous, fourth release of the New Zealand Post’s Maori Art Coins, is a perfect addition to any Maori art collection.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes with box and certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of only 2,000 coins.
- Obverse: Likeness of Queen Elizabeth II surrounded by her name, the date and "New Zealand".
- Reverse: Intricate design based on New Zealand artist Cliff Whiting’s mixed media mural, "Te wehenga o Rangi raua ko Papa" (the separation of heaven and earth).
- Guaranteed by the Royal Australian Mint.
This unique coin would make a great gift or perfect addition to any collection. Add this 1 oz Proof Silver Maori Art coin to your cart today!
The Maori legend is as follows: In the beginning there was no sky, no sea, no earth and no gods. There was only darkness, only Te Kore, the Nothingness. The very beginning was made from nothing. From this nothingness, the primal parents of the Maori came, Papatuanuku, the Earth mother, and Ranginui, the Sky father.
Papatuanuku and Ranginui came together, embracing in the darkness, and had 70 male children. These offspring became the gods of the Maori. However, the children were locked in their parents embrace, in eternal darkness, and yearned to see some light. They eventually decided that their parents should be separated, and had a meeting to decide what should be done.
They vowed to separate their parents in order to see the light of day, but none could accomplish such a feat. The coin shows Tane-Mahuta, the god of man and forests at long last separating Papatuanuku and Ranginui, creating the world of light.