With a record low mintage of only 16,591, 2015 is the new key date of the Proof Gold Buffalo series. Struck on specially-prepared planchets, these Proof coins bear a beautiful mirror finish and exquisite detail.
New key date of the series, with a final mintage of 16,591!
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold - the first U.S. Mint series to be produced in pure Gold.
- Proof finish adds further beauty with an impressive shine.
- Coin comes in complete original packaging including an elegant presentation box.
- Obverse: Bears James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile.
- Reverse: Depicts Black Diamond, a buffalo who lived in the Central Park Zoo during the early 20th century, and is adapted from Fraser's original design for the 1913 nickel.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.