The year 2015 marks the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain’s voyage of discovery through Huronia. The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to celebrate this foundational moment in Canadian history with this original coin designed in .9999 fine silver.
- Contains 1/4 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Each coin comes packaged in a maroon clamshell beauty box and includes a certificate of authenticity from the mint.
- Limited mintage of 10,000 coins.
- Obverse: The effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: Uniquely engraved to emulate the famed 17th century astrolabe—long attributed to Champlain—found in Cobden, Ontario.
Add this $3 anniversary of Samuel de Champlain coin to your cart today!
Own an original work of art depicting an antique artefact; the astrolabe. Against this navigational tool is set a full-body portrait of Samuel de Champlain. Through the spaces between the astrolabe’s latitude and longitude crosshairs, we are presented with engravings of scenes from Champlain’s journeys in Huronia, including an image of a tall sailing ship and a scene in which Huron guides assist Champlain on portage.